Ecologist (Project grade / Graduate), Shrewsbury, UK
Office Location: Shrewsbury
Working Hours: 37.5 hours/week – permanent contract, starting April 2017
Salary: Competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package
Discipline team: Ecology
Reporting to: Regional Ecology Manager
Due to continued growth and expansion we are looking for a Project Ecologist to join our ecology team in Shrewsbury. Our team works on a variety of projects, across a wide range of industry sectors. Whilst most work is UK-based the team also work on a number of overseas projects.
Successful applicants will have a good theoretical grounding in ecology and environmental assessment and be able to demonstrate field experience in surveys for amphibians and reptiles, birds, mammals or botanical identification skills. An active interest or experience of ecological assessment and mitigation techniques is also desirable. You will have excellent communication and time management skills and will also be able to demonstrate good report writing and analytical skills.
You will join a friendly team of ecologists in a multi-disciplinary consultancy with offices throughout the UK. Whatever your experience, SLR offers an individually-tailored training package using in-house and external training to complement the development of your career as an ecological consultant.
The role will involve assisting on a wide range of ecological projects. These are likely to involve field surveys for a range of protected species, e.g. great crested newts, bats, badgers and other taxa (e.g. birds) depending on skills and experience. You may also be involved in habitat survey, the implementation of protected species mitigation projects, desk-based study, report writing and assisting with the preparation of Ecological Impact Assessments.
As well as office based tasks, this role will involve seasonal field survey work both within the local area and in locations away from the office for periods of several days at a time; and for which hours may extend beyond the standard working day and may involve early starts and/or late finishes.
Technical Skills, Abilities, Experience:
• Botanical skills and experience of habitat survey.
• Experience in specialist fauna surveys, e.g. bats, amphibians, reptiles, badgers, water vole, otter, birds, invertebrates.
• Hold, or be working towards, protected species survey licences e.g. great crested newt, bats.
• Experience or interest in land management for biodiversity.
• Excellent communication and time management skills.
• Good report writing skills.
Education, Qualifications, Memberships:
• BSc Ecology, Biological Science (or equivalent). MSc desirable.
• Hold(or eligible for) minimum Graduate or Associate level membership of CIEEM
• Professional and commercially aware.
• Able to work independently and as part of a team.
• Willing to learn and motivated for Continued Professional Development.
• Valid driving licence.
Applications and Enquiries
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer. Further details of our Equal Opportunities policy are available upon request.
To apply, please complete the online application form below.