Energy Efficiency & Carbon Management Consultant, Johannesburg, South Africa
Office Location: Fourways, Johannesburg
Working Hours: Full time hours
Salary: Competitve basic salary, comprehensive benefits package
Discipline team: Carbon Management and Energy Efficiency
Reporting to: Technical Discipline Manager
This is an opportunity to join our ambitious Advisory Services division in South Africa, to work with key industrial and commercial clients in improving their energy efficiency, resource and carbon management. We are looking for an individual capable of advising clients in terms of investigating energy saving opportunities, prioritizing and guiding the client through the energy efficiency programme implementation process. In additional to the necessary technical skills, communication and leadership skills will be necessary to establish and implement energy awareness campaigns. The ideal candidate must be a confident, client-centric and pragmatic individual who wants to influence our development, and that of our clients, in an ever increasingly energy-conscious business environment.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Grow the African Energy Efficiency discipline from ‘start-up’ to a viable feasible practice as part of the global SLR strategy;
• Be an industry recognized expert in the field and an influencer among peers;
• Deliver energy management consultancy services including strategic energy advice to high-profile clients across major sectors, conduct energy audits and produce energy-related diagnostic and advisory assessments for example as part of due diligence assignments in SA & Africa (and possibly other regions);
• Data analysis using a rigorous methodology and assisting in the development of tools to assist in project delivery;
• Provide commercially sound advice based on technical expertise focusing on energy and carbon management across major sectors;
• Production of written technical reports to a high standard of quality and the delivery of concise client presentations;
• To collaborate and support other SLR consultants in the delivery of carbon management and energy efficiency projects;
• Work with the relevant Sector Leads to identify new opportunities, develop technically accurate proposals and work with clients to develop these opportunities into projects;
• Work with clients to help them to develop, coordinate and implement strategies and policies to reduce energy consumption;
• Provide advisory services where it aids clients in the development or creation of policies and systems for buying energy, helping with contract negotiations and offtake agreements;
• Liaise and negotiate with contractors, the building supplies industry, council services and other relevant organizations;
• Carry out site inspections and energy surveys, as required, in South Africa and internationally;
• Benchmark energy consumption data and practices against international best practice guidelines;
• Keep up to date with energy and carbon related legislation (e.g. Carbon Tax) and assisting clients with understanding the implications this may have on our clients;
• A seller-doer, spending time delivering on projects but also driving and developing the business, including raising the SLR Energy Efficiency and Carbon Management profile of the business internally and externally, or representing SLR at globally recognized industry events.
• Expertise in the provision of Energy Efficiency and Carbon Management;
• An established network of contacts within the Industrial and Commercial sectors;
• Proven track record of working on local or international high-profile energy projects
• Excellent report-writing skills;
• Public speaking and presentation skills
• Bsc(Eng) or Masters degree in energy-relevant subject, e.g. BSc Electrical Engineering or similar
• Certified Energy Manager ;
• Audit skills
• Professional Engineering registration or similar
• Proven business development capabilities.
• Relevant common business software applications.
• Energy modelling experience
• Experience in the field of energy assessments and diagnostics
• Experience with the delivery of client and employee awareness campaigns and training
• Implementation of site based energy management programmes Relevant professional membership (Energy Institute, Energy Managers Association);
• Excellent communication, numerical and interpersonal skills - written and verbal.
• Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritise work.
• Attention to detail
• Problem solving skills.
• Ability to take initiative and work independently
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent project management skills
Applications and Enquiries
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer. Further details of our Equal Opportunities policy are available upon request.
To apply, please complete the online application form below.