Senior/Associate Ecologist, Maidstone, UK
Office Location: Maidstone
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week Monday - Friday
Salary: Competitive basic salary, comprehensive benefits package
Discipline team: Ecology
Reporting to: Ecology Discipline Manager
With over 30 experienced Ecology professionals undertaking a wide range of projects throughout the UK, SLR Consulting leads the way in providing exemplar advice and services. We have a real passion for what we do and due to continued commercial success and a very healthy work book, we have fantastic opportunities for experienced professionals to become part of the SLR team.
Our busy UK Ecological team is enjoying another very busy season throughout 2016 and beyond. Given a busy workload within Kent and the surrounding areas of South East England we are looking to appoint an experienced professional to expand capabilities within the region from a technical and commercial perspective – as well as providing mentorship and support to existing staff in the region.
As well as playing a key role in the delivery of existing projects, you will have the opportunity to expand, diversify and grow the portfolio of ecological projects and clients within the region and make a real contribution to SLR’s Ecological team presence in the South East.
SLR has a small but well established office in an office complex located within the landscaped grounds of converted papermill on the western outskirts of Maidstone. The office is located within easy walking distance of Maidstone town centre and several railway stations and is also located close to the M20 motorway. The office currently comprises staff in Land Quality, Landscape Architecture, Waste Strategy, Landfill Engineering and Oil and Gas disciplines, so an Ecology presence would fit well into this office.
The successful candidate would be joining an employee owned, highly successful, international multidisciplinary consultancy with an established ecological presence in the UK.
Applications are sought from experienced ecologists, ideally with expertise in the field of large scale developments and/or renewable energy (in particular wind) and tendering/business development skills gained in a commercial consultancy environment.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Managing / overseeing projects, advising clients on schemes such large scale mixed use and residential developments, minerals/waste projects, infrastructure and renewable energy schemes throughout the South-East
- Input into masterplans and urban design identifying and advising on ecological constraints and opportunities
- High level report writing and technical review work
- Supervision / mentoring of ecology staff and team development
- Liaising with technical staff in other UK offices
- Seeking opportunities through coordinated business development to expand the ecology services and capabilities in the region
TECHNICAL SKILLS / ABILITIES / EXPERIENCE :
- Demonstrable considerable ecological experience within a commercial consultancy, including project and technical delivery/management experience.
- Expertise in protected species, ideally in the fields of bat, newts, reptiles, dormouse and/or bird ecology.
- Experience in managing development projects of all scales across a range of sectors, for both public and private sector clients
EDUCATION / QUALIFICATION / MEMBERSHIP :
- Qualified to degree level or higher in a relevant field of Ecology, Natural Sciences or a related subject.
- Full membership of CIEEM and hold or be eligible for Chartered status.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES :
- A well-regarded team player with experience of managing staff and subcontractors; you will be excellent with clients and be commercially astute.
Applications and Enquiries
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer. Further details of our Equal Opportunities policy are available upon request.
To apply, please complete the online application form below.