Senior/Associate/Principal Ecologist, Maidstone, UK
Office Location: Maidstone
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week Monday – Friday or P/T, subject to agreement.
Salary: Competitive basic salary, comprehensive benefits package
Discipline team: Ecology
Reporting to: Ecology Discipline Manager
With over 30 experienced Ecology professionals undertaking a wide range of projects throughout the UK, SLR Consulting leads the way in providing exemplar advice and services. We have a real passion for what we do and due to continued commercial success and a very healthy work book, we have a fantastic opportunities for experienced professionals to become part of the SLR team.
As our well-established and respected Ecology team is looking forward to another busy season in Kent and the surrounding areas of South East England, we are looking to appoint an experienced professional to expand capabilities within the region from a technical and commercial perspective – as well as providing mentorship and support to existing staff in the region.
As well as playing a key role in the delivery of existing projects, you will have the opportunity to expand, diversify and grow the portfolio of ecological projects and clients within the region and make a real contribution to SLR’s Ecology team in the South East.
SLR has a small but well established multi-disciplinary office located within the landscaped grounds of a converted papermill on the western outskirts of Maidstone. The office is within easy walking distance of Maidstone town centre and several railway stations and is also located close to the M20 motorway. The office supports staff in Ecology, Planning/ESIA, Land Quality, Waste Strategy and Landfill Engineering disciplines, so an Ecology expanded presence would fit well into this office.
The successful candidate would be joining an employee owned, highly successful, international multi-disciplinary consultancy with an established ecological presence in the UK.
Applications are sought from ecologists with experience of business development, preferably gained in a commercial consultancy environment, and with strong field skills including habitat and protected species surveys.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Managing / overseeing projects, advising clients on schemes such as mixed use and residential developments, minerals/waste projects, infrastructure and energy projects throughout the South-East
• Preparation of fee proposals, report writing and technical review work
• Supervision / mentoring of ecology staff and team development
• Liaising with technical staff in other UK offices
• Seeking opportunities through coordinated business development to expand ecology and other services and capabilities in the region
TECHNICAL SKILLS / ABILITIES / EXPERIENCE :
• Demonstrable considerable ecological expertise, preferably from within the consultancy sector, ideally showing experience of protected species survey and licencing.
• Demonstrate experience of project winning, delivery and client management.
• Experience in managing ecological input to development projects of all scales across a range of sectors and working with other environmental disciplines.
EDUCATION / QUALIFICATION / MEMBERSHIP :
• Qualified to degree level or higher in a relevant field of Ecology, Natural Sciences or a related subject.
• Full membership of CIEEM and hold or be eligible for Chartered status (CEcol or CEnv).
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES :
• A well-regarded team player with experience of managing staff and subcontractors; you will be able to development a good rapport with clients and colleagues.
• You will understand the business environment of consultancy and be commercially astute.
Applications and Enquiries
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer. Further details of our Equal Opportunities policy are available upon request.
To apply, please complete the online application form below.