Technical Director – Geotechnical Engineer, Maidstone/Bristol/Nottingham (other UK locations considered), UK
Office Location: Maidstone, Bristol, Nottingham, London but any UK office considered
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week Monday - Friday
Salary: Competitive basic salary, comprehensive benefits package
Discipline team: Geotechnical Engineering
Reporting to: Technical Discipline Manager
We are currently working actively to grow and develop our business and to extend the range of services we offer to existing Clients. To that end we are looking to make a strategic appointment of a Technical Director to assume a senior leadership role among our existing UK based team of geotechnical professionals.
Candidates should have a recognised academic qualification in geotechnical engineering or engineering geology and ideally should be able to demonstrate substantial experience in a comparable role with responsibility for team management and development, client management and new business development/growth and all associated aspects of technical delivery/output; principally, although not exclusively in engineering consultancy – and ideally in environmental consultancy
This position provides an exciting opportunity to join a diverse team of earth science specialists, comprising geotechnical engineers, geologists, hydrogeologists and land quality specialists in a leading multinational consultancy and to take an active role in the future growth and development of our business in the built environment, mining and minerals, industry and power sectors. The appointee will be based at one of our existing offices in Bristol, Nottingham or Maidstone.
Along with a competitive basic salary, the successful candidate will receive a comprehensive benefits package including a car allowance, BUPA health cover, share options, death-in-service cover and employer pension contributions.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the technical and administrative leadership of SLR geotechnical group in the UK. Typical duties will include:
- Identifying opportunities to provide specialist geotechnical services to new and existing Clients, principally in the built environment, mining and minerals, industry and power sectors and actively working to deliver these opportunities to SLR;
- Building and maintaining new Client relationships;
- Assisting other technical directors, operations managers and sector leaders in bidding for and winning multi-disciplinary work from new and established Clients;
- Working will senior SLR staff to develop regional and global perspectives on geotechnical risks, opportunities and priorities;
- Technical review of engineering reports, drawings and advice provided to UK Clients;
- Ensuring compliance with recognised technical standards, guidance and legislation and timely delivery and completion of projects;
- Development, periodic review and ongoing implementation of geotechnical procedures (including any specific health and safety protocols);
- Keeping abreast of technical innovation and regulatory / legislative change impacting the geotechnical sector and ensuring SLR is well placed to take advantage of such change;
- Managing, resourcing and overall cost control of geotechnical projects undertaken by the UK team;
- Mentoring and technical training of junior colleagues;
- Promoting best practice in Health and Safety across the UK geotechnical team and ensuring compliance with established Health and Safety management systems.
Whilst based in a single UK office, our projects are generally spread across the whole of the UK (and on occasion overseas in Europe or Africa). The successful candidate may therefore be required to travel for periods of one day to a week or more. A clean, full driving licence is a pre-requisite for the post
Technical Skills, Abilities, Experience:
- Demonstrable experience in a comparable role with technical, commercial and business development management responsibilities; principally in a consulting environment in the built environment, mining and minerals, industrial and/or power sectors. Recent experience in the environmental consulting sector would be a distinct advantage. The successful candidate is also expected to demonstrate a high degree of competence in geotechnical design, in-depth knowledge of geotechnical standards and codes of practice, extensive experience in using specialist geotechnical design software and in preparation of specifications and contracts for specialist geotechnical works.
- Proven Business Development Capabilities – an established track record in building and maintaining good working relationships with Clients and in winning consulting related work from private and/or public sector Clients
Education, Qualifications, Memberships:
- Proven Academic Achievement – the role requires the candidate to have successfully completed a BEng or equivalent degree (as a minimum) in Civil or Environmental Engineering, Geology or Engineering Geology, and a second degree in geotechnical engineering or soil mechanics.
- Proven Leadership Skills – past experience in mentoring and leading a team of specialist staff in a consultancy environment and achieving or exceeding financial, project performance and health and safety goals.
- Proven Written and Verbal Communication Skills – the successful candidate is expected to have excellent written and verbal communication skills and a proven ability to communicate effectively with Clients and colleagues.
- Personal Attributes – the successful candidate is expected to display sound judgement and a high degree of personal integrity. He / she will be reliable, thorough, accurate, diligent and motivated.
Applications and Enquiries
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer. Further details of our Equal Opportunities policy are available upon request.
To apply, please complete the online application form below.