Trainee / Apprentice - Highways and Transportation Planning , UK
Office Location: Bradford on Avon
Working Hours: Monday - Friday 37.5 hours per week
Salary: Negotiable, guide £12-15k PA plus excellent benefits
Discipline team: Highways & Transportation Planning
Reporting to: Line Manager/Technical Discipline Manager
SLR is a leading international environmental consultancy with over 1200 staff working across 5 global regions, and over 350 within the UK/Europe.
Our Highways and Transportation Planning team undertake a range of projects for private sector clients in the development planning sector, ranging from designing and modelling junctions associated with new proposed developments to route assessments for abnormal loads transported to wind farms.
Our team is increasingly busy, and to help us manage these increasing workloads we are looking for an Apprentice/Trainee level Technician to join our Bradford on Avon office.
Working under the supervision of our team of industry-leading Highway Engineers and Transport Planners, the successful candidate will have an outstanding opportunity to gain valuable skills within this key area of planning, and to progress within a profession where a real shortage of skilled experts leads to fantastic prospects for career development.
Whilst experience of highways and transportation planning is not essential, an interest in this field and a desire to learn is. Candidates will also have the potential to undertake a relevant qualification on a day release basis if desired, to help develop their knowledge and skills.
SLR offers all staff a competitive basic salary, combined with a comprehensive range of benefits including 25 days holiday plus bank holidays as standard, healthcare, pension, travel insurance and much more. Given its flat management structure and ambitious plans for growth, we believe prospects for progression for our staff are unrivalled.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The main element of your time will be spent supporting the team with day-to-day project work including site visits, completion of swept path analysis to test the operation of junctions and internal site roads, prepare highway design drawings for clients and collect data for analysis.
Working under the guidance of senior members of the team duties will include:
• Undertake services within an engineering environment to include site appraisals, data collection and analysis, inspection of highway works and highway scheme design;
• Under supervision prepare technical designs in accordance with approved design procedures using specialist software such as AutoCAD; and
• Assist with the preparation of draft Transport Assessment reports and Travel Plans, building the baseline situation and researching relevant planning policies.
It is expected that applicants will be able to:
• Work as a valuable member of the team delivering accurate quality work to agreed deadlines;
• Develop an awareness of the Health and Safety requirements within the workplace and when completing site work; and
• Work under own initiative and seek advice when needed.
Above all else, we are seeking a motivated and confident individual that has the potential to learn and grow as their involvement in projects develops over time.
TECHNICAL SKILLS / ABILITIES / EXPERIENCE :
- Experience of relevant design software and standards and some experience in the production of engineering drawings using AutoCAD.
- An interest in highway design
- Fluent spoken and written English
EDUCATION / QUALIFICATION / MEMBERSHIP :
- A – Levels, BTEC Level 3 or equivalent
- Some vocational experience
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES :
- A team worker with good organisational skills
- Good numeracy
- Good report writing skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- A full UK driving licence
Applications and Enquiries
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer. Further details of our Equal Opportunities policy are available upon request.To apply, please complete the online application form below.