Network Rail Waste Strategy (UK)
Network Rail was created as a not for profit company limited by guarantee in October 2002, in a move backed by the Government to improve the safety, reliability and efficiency of the railway. Network Rail’s aims include the achievement of environmental excellence, including a commitment to minimise waste and the associated impacts of waste.
National within the UK
Network Rail identified a need for:
- Waste Audit to quantify existing waste generation and disposal practices; and
- Waste Strategy setting out a plan of action to optimise waste management.
- Summary of overall Network Rail total waste arisings by key waste producers;
- Audit of waste streams produced and current waste management and recycling practices (where present) employed on site.
- Identification of waste minimisation and reuse targets;
- Detailed implementation phase.
- Comparison of performance of teams with mechanism to reward good waste management performance;
- Optimising and managing waste handling activities.