Remediation programs included excavations of over 110,000 m³ of impacted soil and risk assessments. Certificates of Compliance have been issued for all five parcels. The last Certificate of Compliance is for a Risk Management Area on the southern portion of Parcels 2 and 3. Groundwater contamination extends up to 20 metres deep, and a groundwater pump and treat system has been installed to treat extracted contaminated groundwater. Excavation of the upper three metres of contaminated fill in the Risk Management Area has been completed, and residual soil contamination, as well as the deeper groundwater contamination, is being dealt with through Risk Assessment.
- Areas of concern (AECs) were delineated to confirmation of the overall extent of contamination in soil and groundwater. Contaminants consisted mainly of metals, EPH, PAH and pentachlorophenol
- Remedial excavations of sediments in the foreshore area were conducted during low tide
- Existing groundwater remedial system was expanded and upgraded to capture entire plume
- Permit was obtained to discharge treated water into the Fraser River
- A post-remedial work program including soil vapour sampling and groundwater sampling. Ongoing groundwater and plume monitoring is being conducted to assess groundwater quality within and outside the water treatment catchment area