Building Physics Engineering Consultant, UK
Office Location: London
Salary: competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, flexible working policies, regular structured reviews
Discipline team: Acoustics & Vibration
SLR has a fantastic opportunity for an Engineering Consultant with a Mechanical/Building Physics/Science based qualification to join its growing London based CFD, Wind & Energy team.
Within the UK, SLR’s team work on a range of wind and energy projects. Recent projects the team has undertaken include:
• Quantitative wind microclimate assessments on high-rise buildings with a particular focus on London developments;
• Solar glare studies of buildings and structures near airports;
• Energy and Overheating assessments of proposed care homes, student accommodation and residential schemes;
• Assisting the acoustics team with large-scale noise and vibration monitoring surveys on construction sites.
SLR is a truly multinational consultancy and offers significant potential for career development and enhancement based on performance. Our “one team” culture, flat management structure and straightforward approach to project and budget management gives everyone the opportunity to progress; and to work on interesting projects with valued clients. We strive to ensure that opportunities both for new starters and for existing staff are open to all, and we have family friendly policies aimed at helping staff balance the needs of professional and family life. These include remote working facilities, as well as the potential for part time, job share and other flexible working arrangements and agile working which allows staff to tailor hours to maximise their work-life balance.
Along with a competitive salary, our staff enjoy a comprehensive range of benefits including BUPA, business-class travel insurance, life cover, pension and much more.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will be support project work in a number of areas related to building physics including wind engineering (e.g. microclimate assessments), energy modelling and overheating assessments. This is likely to involve the use of intricate software to undertake modelling and simulations, design recommendations and preparation of reports. Most of the work falls within the built environment sector and projects cover anything from small to large scale residential or commercial developments.
In addition, the fast growing acoustics team are looking for additional support on surveys and construction monitoring projects in London and the southeast of England. This includes undertaking setup and calibration of noise, vibration and dust monitoring equipment on construction sites, as well as noise surveys on a wide variety of projects across London and the SE of England. This may on occasions involve travelling throughout to a range of commercial/residential sites or industrial, infrastructure and other development sites. The nature of the sites being surveyed and the range of data required for planning applications means that data may be required for any given period during the day or night, therefore on occasion, this may involve survey work outside normal office hours.
Ability to analyse large datasets and strong report writing skills will be beneficial.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
• Degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Environmental preferred), Physics/Science/Architectural or a related subject with either a numerical element and/or focus on building physics
• Demonstrable experience in a similar consultancy role post-graduation
• Experience in building physics projects, e.g. energy modelling (SAP or SBEM), overheating, wind microclimate and/or sunlight & daylight studies
• MS Office Experience, and experience of Sketchup and/or AutoCAD
• Prior experience using various building physics software including IES <VE>, SAP, SBEM, lighting software or other similar software packages would be beneficial
• High quality report writing skills
• Prior experience in business development would be beneficial
• Full Driving License valid in the UK is preferred
• CSCS card beneficial but not essential
Clicking on the button below will take you to our career application system.Apply for this job