Graduate Ecologists (Assistant/Project grade), UK
Office Location: Shrewsbury
Salary: Competitive basic, comprehensive benefits package
Discipline team: Ecology
Due to continued growth and expansion in the region we are looking for a Project Ecologist to join our expanding team in Shrewsbury to assist with site work, surveys and associated analysis and report writing. We are also keen to hear from similar candidates who would be interested in roles in our Worcester office.
With a team of professional ecologists working nationally, you can be assured that the SLR ecology team would support you to develop your full career potential, giving you an outstanding opportunity to learn and develop your ecological skills. Whilst this role would be suitable for individuals seeking their first professional role, we are also open to hearing from individuals who have practical survey/consultancy experience post-graduation.
Whatever your existing skill-set, you will be dedicated to a developing a career as a professional ecologist and show a commitment to continuing professional development. The successful candidate would be joining a highly successful, international multidisciplinary consultancy with an established and well-respected ecological presence in the UK. On joining the team, you would work with your managers to develop an individually-tailored training package using both in-house and external training resources to drive the development of your career as a professional ecologist.
SLR’s office in Shrewsbury is well-established and truly multi-disciplinary; with senior staff from within the ecology, landscape, archaeology, land quality and development planning disciplines. These disciplines are well-integrated and provide a joined-up service for a wide range of national and local clients. SLR has a “one team” approach to business, meaning that you would have the opportunity to work throughout the UK, with the full complement of SLR professionals to assist you.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Initially, the role will involve assisting with field surveys and protected species mitigation projects, e.g. great crested newt and reptile translocations and working as an Ecological Clerk of Works supervising construction works in sensitive areas. You may also be involved in habitat survey, great crested newt, reptile and bat surveys and assisting with the preparation of Ecological Impact Assessments. Due to the nature of client sites and survey types, the position will involve working across the country and out-of-hours work.
Duties may include:
• Assisting with ecological surveys for a range of fauna, including great crested newts, reptiles, dormouse, water vole and otter, badger, bats, birds etc.
• Assisting with habitat surveys, e.g. JNCC Phase 1 surveys or similar, with the ability to differentiate main broad and priority habitat types in the field.
• Recording time and tasks accurately on SLR’s project management software and understanding the commercial nature of consultancy projects.
• Keeping accurate field notes in accordance with the principles of scientific data collection, with experience in handling, recording and storing data effectively.
• Having a good understanding of wildlife legislation and being able to communicate this clearly to colleagues, clients and contractors.
• Taking responsibility for staff management on mitigation projects, ensuring that there is sufficient staffing for mitigation projects.
• Taking personal responsibility for your health and safety whilst at work, learning SLR’s procedures and conducting your work in a safe and responsible manner.
PERSON SPEC – SUMMARY
Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
• BSc Ecology, Biological Science or equivalent (MSc desirable), and eligible for Graduate or Associate level CIEEM membership.
• A good theoretical grounding in ecology and environmental assessment and be able to demonstrate experience in a range of ecological survey techniques.
• Botanical skills and experience of habitat surveys would be an advantage, along with specialist fauna surveys (bats, reptiles, amphibians, water voles, otters, birds or invertebrates).
• Any licenses for working with protected species would be an advantage
• Any experience acting as construction works supervising ecologist (ECoW) or delivering ecological mitigation contracts would be useful.
• Full driving licence.
Applications and Enquiries
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer. Further details of our Equal Opportunities policy are available upon request.
To apply, please complete the online application form below
Clicking on the button below will take you to our career application system.
Clicking on the button below will take you to our career application system.Apply for this job