Land Technical Discipline Manager, Africa
Office Location: Africa
Discipline team: Land Quality Remediation
The Land Technical Discipline Manager (TDM) will provide leadership and take responsibility for the operational management of the Land team within SLR Africa. This role will be focussed on managing large, complex, multi-disciplinary projects, leading and mentoring a team of consultants, leading the growth and development of service offering (for new and existing clients). The Land TDM will lead the team within the region in collaboration with other service areas in SLR Africa and with the wider Land competency area in the SLR Group. In alignment with SLR’s Values, the Land team must be managed in a professional and commercial manner in order to deliver the high standard of service expected by the SLR Group, by clients and other stakeholders.
The responsibility includes the development of new business opportunities in line with Regional and Global growth objectives. This will include a strong focus on client development and ensuring that SLR’s Land Quality and Remediation (LQR) Services evolve in line with changes in the African market.
Working within a seller-doer business model the role requires the incumbent to win work with clients and ensure the professional delivery thereof in-line with SLR’s Project Excellence expectations and requirements.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Lead a team of professionals providing LQR Science consulting and project delivery services within the SLR business regionally;
- Developing and expanding pipeline of LQR work into ongoing SLR proposals and projects as well as developing and expanding Land stand-alone pipeline of work;
- Independently identifying and winning work and cross-selling other services.
- Client engagement at senior level with existing SLR clients and the development of new client relationships for team;
- Effectively develop the services of your technical discipline and provide expert professional advice, building the services within your technical discipline.
- Coordinating and facilitating involvement in regional and global, internal and external corporate responsibility initiatives and programs as required;
- Assisting the Land and Water Service Line Leader in strategy planning and organisational design initiatives;
- Ensuring the development of budgets and plans which will deliver the organisation’s strategic goals;
- Ensuring the commercial viability of the business at all times and acting in compliance with agreed profitability objectives;
- Engendering a style of management that encourages an ethos of excellence and a mindset of continuous improvement;
- Remain knowledgeable of both national and international market and industry trends;
- Manage multidisciplinary projects and resources to ensure quality, cost and on-time delivery requirements are met.
- Providing technical advice and services to projects and clients;
- Review technical reports on small, large and complex projects;
- Management of health and safety and other risk for the Land team.
- Maintain and manage KPIs for team in accordance with KPI targets (including: utilisation, income and profitability, QMS etc.)
- Effective management of timesheets and reports, billing, WIP, write-offs)
- Developing project schedules for the delivery of Land projects;
- Providing technical input and support to approval requirements on projects;
- Performing environmental risk assessments and communicating results to project teams;
- Ensures compliance to Company guidelines, policies procedures, relevant legislation and codes of practice.
- Undertake and support line management responsibility of direct reports, hiring, setting objectives, conduct performance and career development discussions, succession planning, mentoring coaching and ensuring an engaged team.
- Providing inputs to the Land and Water Service Line Leader Regional Director for the purpose of managing the performance reporting requirements of the Land and Water team for the region;
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in the Natural / Earth Science(s) and post graduate degree in a related field;
- A senior Consultant with at least 15 years of relevant consulting experience;
- 5 years’ experience within a management and business development role;
- Professional registration i.e. SACNASP and contribution to professional or industry organisations.
- Proficiency in MS Office with intermediate Excel and Word knowledge;
- Must be able to
- Manage medium and large, complex, multi-disciplinary projects;
- Lead a team of consultants;
- Sell new projects to current clients and manage client plans for current clients;
- Deployed as ‘expert’ in discipline;
- Contribute by adding credibility around SLR’s technical capabilities;
- Must be able to mentor junior staff, technically;
- Have a valid driver’s license;
- Must be willing to travel locally and abroad as and when required.
Applications and Enquiries
- Being able to demonstrate strong financial management and people management skills;
- Must be dedicated to continuous improvement by fostering a quality of focus on others, improving processes, products and services, and in improving supervisory skills;
- Must exhibit visionary leadership, display passion and optimism, inspire respect and trust and mobilize others to fulfil the vision;
- Must set and achieve challenging goals, demonstrate persistence and overcome obstacles; must measure him/herself against a high standard of excellence and take calculated risks to accomplish goals;
- Must take responsibility for the subordinates' activities, provide regular performance feedback, develop the subordinates' skills and encourage personal growth;
- Must solicit and apply client feedback (both internal and external);
- Must delegate work assignments, match the responsibility to the person, gives authority to work independently, set expectations and monitor delegated activities;
- Must also provide recognition for results;
- Be able to synthesize complex or diverse information, collect and research data, use intuition and experience to complement data and design work flows and procedures;
- Display a willingness to make decisions, exhibit sound and accurate judgment, support and explain the reasoning behind decisions and include appropriate people in the decision-making process;
- Assess their own strengths and weaknesses, pursue training and development opportunities, strive to continuously build knowledge and skills and share expertise with others;
- Balance team and individual responsibilities, exhibit objectivity and openness to others' views, give and welcome feedback and contribute to building a positive team spirit. Must put success of the team above their own interests and be able to build morale and group commitments to the organisation’s goals and objectives.