Marine: Underwater and Port Acoustics
SLR provides a diverse set of consulting and engineering services for the marine industry. Our areas of expertise include a full range of environmental compliance services, noise mitigation for port and underwater activities, testing and evaluation services and marine environmental compliance monitoring.
Underwater noise emissions and their potential impact on the environment and marine fauna in particular is increasingly becoming an issue for environmental regulators and other relevant stakeholders.
SLR combines extensive experience in acoustics with in-house ecological expertise, coupled with key academic peer review partnerships in order to deliver a full suite of underwater acoustics services, including baseline studies, numerical modeling, detailed impact assessment and mitigation design and implementation.
Our services include:
- Underwater Noise Measurement and Baseline Studies. SLR employs custom designed underwater noise data acquisition systems incorporating state-of-the-art hydrophones and signal processing software in order to measure and analyze underwater noise sources.
- Underwater Noise Modeling. Underwater noise levels can be determined directly via measurement of similar activities at representative sites, or predicted from reference data and modeling.
- Environmental Assessment. SLR has undertaken extensive research into the potential effects of underwater noise emissions on marine fauna in consultation with our in-house ecology team and associated expert academic reviewers. We are therefor able to determine the potential zones of impact for specific species, whether it be for large marine mammals, turtles, or fish, and relevant to the proposed construction or operational activities.
- Environmental Management Design and Implementation. Mitigation of underwater acoustic risk to marine fauna and marine infrastructure includes the design and implementation of a practical and cost-effective management plan. These may include measures such as Passive Acoustic Monitoring, Visual Observation (e.g., Marine Mammal Observers), and long-term statistical monitoring of marine fauna.
Port developments and expansions have the potential to create land use conflicts, around the port itself, along transportation access corridors and in nearby communities.
In areas where sensitive land uses have developed around a port facility, management of noise emissions can be critical to ongoing community relations. There may be opportunities to reduce noise emissions at existing facilities via an operational noise mitigation strategy. SLR can identify the dominant sources of noise and annoyance, and recommend targeted mitigation measures that are tailored to long-term maintenance plans. Our experience with port projects gives us detailed knowledge of best-practice noise emissions from both port machinery and equipment as well as vessels.
Our services include:
- Assess the potential for impacts
- Provide independent peer review
- Assist with planning approvals
- Participate in community consultation and stakeholder engagement activities
- Advise on procurement specifications and noise mitigation
- Undertake commissioning and compliance audits
- Broad long-term experience in both airborne and underwater acoustics
- Understanding of the functional and operational issues pertaining to port facilities
- Extensive practical knowledge of acoustic monitoring and modeling technologies and techniques