Process Engineering & Process Safety
Process industries strive to reduce risks to employees, the public and the environment.
For new projects process safety is at the heart of process design. Existing operations focus on continual re-evaluation in accordance with in-house and regulatory guidelines.
Incidents such as Buncefield Terminal in the UK and the Texas City refinery in the United States have resulted in revisions to bulk storage regulation estimated to cost industry in excess $3 billion (£2 billion).
SLR has an extensive track record of process safety assessment from one-off fire safety studies at waste treatment operations through to detailed HAZOP and Seveso II studies at oil terminals, bulk storage and distillation operations.
- HAZOP: Hazard and operability studies comprising a structured critical examination to identify possible deviations from an intended design, along with the consequent undesirable effects in order to develop a revised “safer” design.
- SEVESO II & COMAH: Major accident hazard assessment to reduce risks to as low as reasonably practicable (ALARP) through engineering, procedural controls, emergency plans, safety management system, etc.
- Fire & Explosion: ATEX/DSEAR, hazardous area classification, equipment groups,
- Human & environmental risk assessment: consequence modelling (e.g. PHAST), layers of protection analysis (LOPA), planning for hazardous installations (PADHI)
- Human factors: safety management systems, work design, control panel layout, shift patterns, alarm handling, management of change, communication, permit to work, emergency arrangements, operating procedures, leading and lagging indicators, staff competence and safety training and awareness.
- Emergency Planning: equipment and personnel available and knowledgeable to effectively respond to prevent or limit the consequences of an accident.
SLR provides technology support across the full waste management resource supply chain with a strong team of highly qualified and experienced team of engineers representing the chemical, process, materials, mechanical and electrical engineering professions whom combine to deliver the design.
How can SLR help?
- SLR’s experience in this field allows us to advise our client on the appropriate type of waste treatment and suitability of a specific technologies.
- SLR is able to undertake a wide range of tasks from initial technical audit and technology review, through feasibility study and front-end-engineering-design, detailed design and construction management to commissioning, performance verification, operation and maintenance and trouble-shooting.
- The team can also offer the full range of skills required on engineering projects including project and contract management from inception, through procurement to handover and final certificate.
- SLR has particular experience in the delivery of renewable energy and waste processing related projects.
- SLR also provides full “technical advisor” services, procurement support and all elements of engineering management for minor and major projects.
- Strategic environmental and technical reviews for all waste management options.
- Technical and Economic Feasibility.
- Front End Engineering Design Studies and Concept Designs.
- Design Development and Preparation of Technical Specifications.
- Preparation of Tender Packages and Management of Procurement Process.
- Plant Operation and Maintenance.
- Trouble Shooting operational Plant