Associate or Principal Archaeologist, Guildford, UK
Office Location: Guildford
Salary: Competitive salary (meets CIFAS recommendations) plus excellent benefits package
Discipline team: Archaeology & Heritage
SLR’s Archaeology & Heritage team operates across its European office network from several of its UK offices, including Shrewsbury, Nottingham, Exeter and Edinburgh. Its main function is to advise clients, design and implement schemes, and undertake baseline surveys and analysis to produce reports in support of planning applications, Environmental Impact Assessments, or compliance in order to discharge planning conditions.
Our clients have found great value in our assistance in delivering their projects whilst demonstrating how the Historic Environment and Cultural Heritage can be protected as part of a carefully designed scheme.
SLR is currently seeking a high calibre candidate to join our existing team to act as a consultant and market our Archaeology and Heritage service, focussing on the South-East of England and Wessex but also operating nationally. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to both design and deliver new and existing projects for current clients, as well as having a major role in developing our presence and client base within the region.
Ideally based within our Guildford office, the role will involve promotion of our Heritage presence and workload across the South East region offices (including London and Maidstone)
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Working as part of SLR’s European Archaeology & Heritage team, the successful candidate will have a fantastic opportunity to develop and grow its existing presence within the South East region and Wessex from both a technical and commercial perspective. As well as leading on delivery of a portfolio of existing projects, they will have the opportunity to help shape the future growth of the team/business within the region.
Duties and responsibilities may involve:
• Undertake business planning and marketing of SLR’s heritage service and actively develop opportunities with both new and existing clients in Guildford, London, Maidstone and related urban centres; and work with other SLR discipline leads to maximise business opportunities across all disciplines
• Direct and undertake projects for conservation, management and investigation of the historic environment
• Estimate fees and costs, prepare tenders/fee proposals, set budgets and exercise financial control over projects
• Research , and analyse heritage issues as part of SLR client schemes
• Advise clients and colleagues within SLR of archaeological aspects of schemes, heritage legislation, best practice standards, and appropriate response
• Negotiate with clients and regulatory organizations over scope of work
Prepare written and verbal reports as stand alone or multi-disciplinary studies
PERSON SPEC – SUMMARY
Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
• Proven capabilities in a comparable Archaeological organization, including technical delivery, financial and client management and business development
• Relevant Degree level (or higher) heritage based qualification and thorough knowledge of current legislation and guidance
• Experience of successful project delivery in market sectors including minerals, housebuilding, road schemes, infrastructure, regeneration and energy
• Technical experience to include design of archaeological investigations, heritage studies, baseline surveys, EIA/Conservation Management Planning, historic buildings surveys, aerial surveys/photography, cultural tourism
• Full driving licence
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer. Further details of our Equal Opportunities policy are available upon request.
To apply, please complete the online application form below
Clicking on the button below will take you to our career application system.Apply for this job