Associate Surface Water Engineer / Mine Water Engineer, Australia
Office Location: Brisbane
Discipline team: Hydrology & Hydrogeology
About the business and the role
SLR Consulting Australia Pty Ltd (SLR) is an employee-controlled international environmental consultancy with a globally recognised reputation for providing high quality tailored services. We provide global consultancy advice and support on a wide range of strategic and site-specific issues to a diverse and growing base of business, regulatory and governmental clients.
We currently have a great career opportunity for an Associate Hydrologist/Surface Water Engineer looking for that next step in their career. The team delivers projects across SLR's market sectors including Mining & Minerals, Built Environment, Infrastructure, Industry and Power, with a focus on resource projects in New South Wales and Queensland for many blue chip clients.
The role is diverse and provides a great opportunity for the right person to assist and drive innovative and sustainable project solutions for our clients. Based out of Brisbane you will join the wider Hydrology & Hydrogeology team.
Job tasks and responsibilities
- Thorough understanding and application of hydrologic and hydraulic modelling software (TUFLOW), mine water balance and AR&R 2019
- Overseeing junior staff preparing quality reports for internal and external clients on time and within set budgets
- Developing, facilitating and enhancing relationships between our internal and external clients and SLR team members
- Contributing to winning work by identifying and converting opportunities and drawing on your client relationships
- Providing advice and assistance to internal and external clients, team members and Project Manager's on projects regarding best principles and practices
Skills and experience
Our ideal candidate will have between 6-10 year's industry experience, including experience within a consultancy group, and have:
- Appropriate Engineering tertiary qualification and relevant industry experience working for urban and mining focused clients.
- Extensive experience in hydrological modelling and assessments (RORB, WBNM and XP RAFTS) and understanding of Australian Rainfall and Runoff and relevant guidelines and standards.
- Knowledge and application of two-dimensional hydraulic modelling (TUFLOW);
- Water balance analysis and modelling using GoldSim
- Water quality and stream flow assessments and flood risk analysis
- Floodplain Management including emergency and flooding warning planning
- Assessment and input into design of water related structures e.g. dams, levees and diversions
- Dam condition and consequence category assessments and yield studies
- Emergency management and related warning system and excellent communication skills and technical report writing
- Demonstrated experience working with and successfully mentoring junior staff
- Demonstrated experience managing large multidisciplinary projects throughout the project lifecycle
- Excellent interpersonal skills, self-motivated and ability to work effectively within a team
- A strong track record in building, nurturing and maintaining ongoing client relationships
- Excellent driving history and hold a current driver's license
Job benefits and perks
At SLR we value our staff and look to provide a supportive and collaborative working culture. Accordingly, successful candidates will be offered an attractive salary package, opportunities for regional travel, interaction with SLR staff globally and with a strong focus on targeted professional development. You will be a part of a large growing team with a strong focus on flexible working conditions.
Cultural fit and shared vision is very important to SLR. We want to grow our team around the right people. If you are practical, client focused and highly motivated – we'd love to hear from you.
Unsolicited resumes from recruitment consultants will not be accepted.
Clicking on the button below will take you to our career application system.Apply for this job