Freshwater & Marine Taxonomist, New Zealand
Office Location: Nelson
Discipline team: Marine Science
Job DescriptionAbout the business and the role
Our Nelson team is currently looking for a Taxonomist to join our growing team. You will work closely with a team of consultants to provide taxonomic expertise and advice on both freshwater and marine species. The preference would be having a primary skill set in the freshwater area and if you do not have any marine experience, the marine side can be learnt through our existing experienced team. This is a great opportunity for a driven and motivated individual to further develop their skills in a successful environmental consulting firm while reaping all the benefits of living in the beautiful Nelson area.
Job tasks and responsibilities
The successful applicant will work closely with the Nelson team to:
- Process and identify freshwater macroinvertebrate samples in the customised taxonomy laboratory.
- Perform data collection, data entry, tabulation and data analysis for projects.
- Willingness to develop marine taxonomy skills (if not already present).
- Ability to work in a close team environment.
Skills and experience
To do this effectively you’ll have:
- University qualifications in some element of environmental science with a minimum of two years relevant work experience.
- Experience in processing and accurately identifying freshwater macroinvertebrates from New Zealand using identification keys.
- Experience with using stereo and compound microscopes.
- Experience with establishing and maintaining reference collections.
- Experience compiling data and undertaking data analysis (biotic indices) as well as maintaining data records and files.
- Field work experience in freshwater and/or the marine environment would be advantageous.
- Excellent communication and reporting skills.
- A clean driver’s licence and New Zealand citizenship/working rights are essential.
Job benefits and perks
SLR values our staff and we look to provide a supportive and collaborative working culture. Joining SLR, you will get the chance to work with a large number of well-respected industry leaders across our Australian and New Zealand offices.
Accordingly, successful candidates will be offered an attractive salary package, global interaction with SLR staff and supportive team culture. You will be a part of a large growing team with a strong focus on flexible working conditions and a 'people first' culture.
Cultural fit and shared vision is very important to SLR. We want to grow our team around the right people. If you are practical, experienced in taxonomic analysis and identification and highly motivated – we'd love to hear from you.
Clicking on the button below will take you to our career application system.Apply for this job