Graduate Geologist (Contaminated Land), Stirling, UK
Office Location: Stirling
Salary: Competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, agile, family friendly and flexible working policies
Discipline team: Land Quality & Remediation
SLR has a busy, well established Land Quality team in its European Operations. Due to ongoing commercial success and a busy forward order book, it is looking to expand its Land Quality team in the UK with the appointment of Geology consultants at Project grade within its Stirling office.
Joining as part of a European team of leading Land Quality and Geological professionals working as a single cost centre within SLR’s unique “one team” culture.
This position presents an outstanding opportunity to join a team of geotechnical engineers, geologists and contaminated land specialists within a truly multinational consultancy and offers significant potential for career development and enhancement based on performance.
The individual would also have significant exposure to other disciplines within SLR Consulting for example; geotechnical engineers, hydrogeologists and land quality professionals. Key to this is a high level of flexibility and an ability to apply geological knowledge and principles to a variety of situations and offers significant potential for career development and enhancement based on performance.
Our “one team” culture, flat management structure and unfussy approach gives everyone the opportunity to progress; and to work on interesting projects with valued clients. We strive to ensure that opportunities both for new starters and for existing staff are open to all, and we have family friendly policies aimed at helping staff balance the needs of professional and family life. These include remote working facilities, as well as the potential for part time, job share and other flexible working arrangements and an Agile working policy.
Along with a competitive salary, we offer a benefits package which includes BUPA membership, pension, business class travel insurance, death in service life cover and much more.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Land Quality team undertakes a wide range of site assessment/investigation and associated reporting for a diverse range of clients and the successful applicant will be required to undertake and manage fieldwork and data and assist in preparing subsequent reports to provide advice to clients.
The successful candidate (once suitably trained) will provide assistance to the Land Quality and Remediation team in the following areas:
• Organise site investigation/laboratory testing services in advance of field works;
• Organising site investigation/laboratory testing services in advance of field works;
• Developing health and safety plans to cover identified work tasks;
• Peat surveying;
• Site Investigation Supervision:
• Taking and logging soil and rock samples;
• Collecting soil and groundwater samples for analysis;
• Ground Gas Monitoring and Sampling;
• Organising transport of samples to laboratory;
• Working with Project Managers to ensure suitable analytical testing regimes are undertaken;
• Assisting Project Managers with reporting tasks, including desk studies, data entry/assessment, borehole/trial pit log preparation, factual reporting (leading to interpretative reporting as experience grows).
PERSON SPEC – SUMMARY
Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
• BSc Degree level qualification or equivalent in Geology, Geotechnical Engineering or Geo-Environmental Engineering, ideally with practical experience undertaking site investigations and logging soil & rock samples to British standards (BS5930)
• Relevant postgraduate qualification and membership/Chartered status (or working towards) of a relevant institution (CGeol, EurGeol, PGeo or similar) would be advantageous
• Good IT skills (MS Office or equivalent), and relevant professional software knowledge (modelling & logging software such as Holebase; LSS, AutoCAD and GIS software),
• Good communication, report writing and data analysis skills
• The ability to work as part of a team and follow strict Health & Safety protocols
• Full driving license
• A desire to build a successful career in the Geological/Geotechnical sector
To apply for this position please submit your application using the link on this page.
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer but our expectations go beyond just complying with legislation. It is SLR's intention that active steps are undertaken to ensure that opportunities are open to all and that as a business, we continue to strive to promote diversity and inclusion and reduce the gender pay gap.
Clicking on the button below will take you to our career application system.Apply for this job