Principal Environmental Consultant, South Africa
Office Location: South Africa
SLR Environmental Consulting is leading global provider of advisory and environmental consultancy services. We are continuing to expand our operations across Africa as our reputation as the leading environmental consultant in Africa’s offshore Oil and Gas market grows. We currently have an opportunity for an exceptional individual to join our team as Principal Environmental Consultant. The role is based in our Cape Town office. The position would suit an environmental professional with a proven track record working on large-scale environmental assessment and management projects in the offshore Oil and Gas Sector. African experience is preferable but is not a pre-requisite.
We are keen to find someone who is looking to build their reputation as part of an already very successful team. They will be required to assist in building the SLR brand in Africa and globally by identifying key strategic issues and opportunities that help drive the growth of the SLR business, The successful applicant should be able to develop and maintain relationships with offshore Oil and Gas clients to win and deliver projects throughout Africa. The person understands our clients’ needs for technically exceptional environmental services with a personal touch.
The role requires someone who is enthusiastic with a natural drive for success. They are a natural leader who routinely manages and/or coaches multi-disciplinary teams to meet and exceed client expectations. The person will be team oriented and able to form trusting relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Over 15 years’ experience in an international environmental consultancy or oil and gas company.
- B.Sc. (Hons) or Masters in Environmental or Natural sciences or similar qualification.
- Must be able to proactively manage large EIA/ESIA projects, take responsibility of resource allocation, liaise with clients, specialists and authorities, manage quality assurance/client feedback and ensure they meet budgetary, quality, safety and timeframe targets, while exceeding client expectations.
- A track record of understanding a client’s needs in the offshore Oil and Gas sector and interpret this in the context of national regulations and international finance requirements in order to guide the client and the project team.
- Must have a sound knowledge of the EIA/ESIA process, Equator Principles, and IFC
- Must be able to develop and sustain client relationships leading to repeat business.
- Should have worked on projects within Africa.
- Safety leadership – evidence of achieving safety excellence by role modelling ‘safety first’ behavior and through consistent adherence to policy and safety management.
- Visionary Leadership with a proven ability to contribute to the development of regional business plans and budgets which includes an assessment of business risks, growth opportunities, resourcing requirements and priorities and can actively manage performance against these. Tracks strategically important opportunities and projects and provide support to ensure a successful outcome.
- Evidence of building and maintaining Client relationships in accordance with agreed priorities and overall responsibility for the development of a pipeline or work.
- High Emotional intelligence with the ability to influence a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders across a broad spectrum of performance situations.
- Strong project management skills and experience with accurately reporting and managing a pipeline of work.
- Has an ability to manage operational risk at proposal stage by participating in go/no go decisions.