Technical Director - Geotechnical Engineering, UK
Office Location: London
Salary: Competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, agile working & family friendly policies
SLR has a fantastic opportunity for a Mine Waste Engineer to join its busy Mine Waste Engineering team. The successful applicant will lead on a combination of project execution and delivery and business development activities for both new and existing clients principally within the Mining Sector.
SLR’s Engineering team boasts a wealth of expertise across the European region (and wider global business) within diverse sectors including mining, waste, power, infrastructure, and the built environment. As a forward-thinking consultancy with ambitious growth plans and listed in The Times’ top 100 “One To watch”; SLR is a truly global consultancy and offers significant potential for career development and enhancement based on performance. Our “one team” culture, flat management structure and straightforward approach to project and budget management gives everyone the opportunity to progress and to work on interesting projects for a range of valued clients.
Candidates should have a recognised academic qualification in mining/geotechnical engineering or engineering geology and ideally should also have a minimum of 15 years post-graduation experience, principally, although not exclusively in mine waste engineering consultancy.
This position provides an exciting opportunity to join a diverse team of earth science specialists, comprising mine waste engineers, geotechnical engineers, geologists, hydrotechnical engineers, process engineers, hydrogeologists and land quality specialists in a leading multinational consultancy and to take an active role in the future growth and development of our business in the mining and minerals, infrastructure and power sectors. The appointee would ideally be based at one of our existing offices in Maidstone/London/Nottingham/Bristol.
Along with a competitive basic salary, the successful candidate will also receive a comprehensive benefits package including pension, 25 days annual leave (plus statutory), flexible working arrangements, car allowance, private health cover, continuous professional development and training, death-in-service cover and professional membership subscription.
Please note that SLR are flexible to the location of this role across any of our UK offices.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will work independently and within a team to deliver projects and develop new and existing business. You will act as a project manager, write proposals and manage clients and the interface with clients. You will provide workload to others in the team and other disciplines and will be expected to mentor and coach other engineers within the team including technical review of engineering reports, drawings and advice provided to clients.
The successful candidate will ensure compliance with recognised engineering standards, technical guidance and associated legislation and will be expected to keep abreast of technical innovation and regulatory / legislative change impacting the mine waste/geotechnical sector, both nationally and internationally and ensuring SLR is well placed to take advantage of such change.
As a senior member of the team, you will have input into the strategic direction, planning and development of the team, creating new opportunities and prospects, enhancing and broadening team capacity and capability, recruiting new staff, identifying target markets and developing future strategies.
The successful candidate will work across other sectors with SLR staff in disciplines including the Advisory, Environmental Management and Compliance, Land and Water and Environmental Specialist Services Groups. You will have the opportunity to work within an experienced team and be involved in a series of exciting challenges with one of the leading environmental and engineering consultancies in the UK. The role will involve frequent travel across the UK and Europe and occasional international travel overseas.
PERSON SPEC – SUMMARY
• Relevant first degree and post graduate qualification (Mine Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Engineering Geology, Geology or similar);
• Chartered Member of a relevant professional institution;
• Proven business development capabilities, with an established track record in building and maintaining good working relationships with Clients and in winning consultancy work;
• Proven leadership skills, with past experience in mentoring and leading a team of specialist staff in a consultancy environment and achieving or exceeding financial, project performance and health and safety goals;
• Proven experience and technical competence with a minimum of 15 years post graduate experience, principally in a consulting environment in the mining and minerals, infrastructure and/or power sectors;
• Experience of leading and managing teams of professional, engineering and operational staff in a project, consultancy or contracting environment
• Must have a full, current, clean UK driving licence.
TECHNICAL SKILLS / ABILITIES / EXPERIENCE
• Experience of working in the national and international mining sector
• Excellent numerical analysis and geotechnical / mine waste design skills
• Experience of providing engineering consultancy, project management advice
• Established track record of managing, mentoring and coaching staff
• Excellent report writing skills
• IT literate, particularly with Excel, Word and PowerPoint Desirable
• Experience in providing consultancy advice and services in respect of Dam Break Analysis, Deformation, Liquefaction, Interaction of Structures, Dynamic Analysis or Climate Boundary Interaction
• Business development in a consultancy environment
• Experience of proposal writing and tender submissions
• Proven track record of Client / consultancy contract management
• Experience of construction procurement and specification writing
EDUCATION / QUALIFICATION / MEMBERSHIP
• Degree in Engineering or Science subject
• Professional qualification or member of a professional body Desirable
• Degree in Mining Engineering,
• Master’s degree in Mining Engineering
• Must be able to work independently and within a team
• Good communication skills
• Numerate and confident with data
• Well organised and logical thinker
• Friendly and outgoing
• Sound judgement
• Honest and reliable Desirable
• Committed to changing attitudes with respect to the environment and sustainability
• Charitable or other work within your community
To apply for this position, please use the online application button on this page to submit a CV and covering letter.
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer but our expectations go beyond just complying with legislation. It is SLR's intention that active steps are undertaken to ensure that opportunities are open to all and that as a business, we continue to strive to promote diversity and inclusion and reduce the gender pay gap.
Clicking on the button below will take you to our career application system.Apply for this job