Underwater Acoustics Consultant, Australia
Office Location: Perth
Discipline team: Acoustics & Vibration
Job DescriptionAbout the business and the role
SLR is an employee-controlled international environmental consultancy with a globally recognised reputation for providing high quality tailored services. SLR is one of few truly international specialist environmental consultancies that provide both highly flexible working conditions and the support to achieve individual and team success.
SLR has a great opportunity within the Acoustics & Vibration team for an ambitious individual to join our high performing and friendly team in Western Australia. This is a full-time position based in our Perth office, working with a team that is well-established in the industry. We’re primarily looking for individuals with passion and knowledge in underwater acoustics, but if you have experience in broader noise and vibration disciplines (such as environmental and transport noise and vibration, building and architectural acoustics) that will be considered favourably.
Job tasks and responsibilities
Reporting to the Asia Pacific (APAC) Technical Discipline Manager, you will be responsible for assisting the delivery of high profile and large-scale marine projects both within the APAC region and globally. This will require a broad knowledge and understanding of underwater noise physics, modelling methodologies and techniques to independently solve problems. You’ll be supported by the local team in undertaking the following tasks:
• Underwater noise modelling based on suitable modelling algorithms and techniques, along with measurement and monitoring, data processing and analysis of relevant monitoring/modelling results, impact assessment based on relevant legislations and regulatory requirements, mitigation and control measure investigations;
• Project management, including internal/external client liaison, project input data management, execution of technical tasks and report deliverables, ensuring proper quality control and review process in place on each project task;
• Coordination with other personnel within the local, national and global team of acoustics and vibration and/or other relevant technical disciplines to achieve desirable project outcomes;
• Research and development activities to improve technical capabilities and service offering, and associated business development;
• Support delivery of other acoustics and vibration projects, such as noise and vibration measurement and monitoring, modelling predictions, numerical analyses of results and associated reporting.
Skills and experience
Our ideal candidate will have a willingness to challenge their capabilities, be an innovative thinker and possess:
• A relevant bachelor degree (ideally engineering or science). Postgraduate qualifications will be an advantage;
• Experience / training in coding with engineering languages such as Matlab / Scilab and Python;
• Experience and high competency with various underwater noise modelling algorithms, such as Parabolic Equation (PE) models, Normal-Mode (NM) modes, Ray-theory models, etc.;
• Experience in underwater noise measurement and monitoring, data processing and analysis;
• Strong analytical, verbal/written communication and technical report writing skills; and
• Experience with broader acoustic and vibration disciplines, as well as spatial information systems (CAD/GIS) would also be highly favourable.
Job benefits and perks
SLR values our staff and we look to provide a supportive and collaborative working culture. Accordingly, successful candidates will be offered a competitive salary, flexible work environment and a positive team culture. If you are practical, client focused and highly motivated – we'd love to hear from you.
Unsolicited resumes from recruitment consultants will not be accepted.
Clicking on the button below will take you to our career application system.Apply for this job