Mine Restoration: Planning & Design Strategy (UK)
East Pit is a surface coal mine in South Wales, approximately 100ha in extent, which is nearing the end of its operational life. Much of the site has been disturbed by previous mineral workings and includes large spoil heaps and a central void. Surrounding areas are rural and lack investment, although the site is close to the southern boundary of the Brecon Beacons National Park.
East Pit, Brynamman
Oak Regeneration, Celtic Energy
To create a strategy which considered the final coaling phase of the mine and the final restoration landform capable of carrying forward a future viable and sustainable economic use that would restructure the local economy.
- Masterplan at strategy and detailed levels
- Mineral planning
- Strategic planning
- Urban and landscape design
- Landform design and materials balance
- Complete Environmental Impact Assessment
- Consultation and Public Relations
- Socio-economic assessment
- Sustainability assessment