SLR has been engaged by Cairns Regional Council to develop an Organic Waste Roadmap, which was identified as a key priority within Council’s broader waste reduction and recycling strategy. This strategy also aligns with the Queensland Government’s commitment to roll out an Organics Action Plan as part of the new Waste Management and Resource Recovery Strategy.
The development of the Organic Waste Roadmap which is designed to define, procure and develop new services and infrastructure for Council, will progress through the following stages:
- Stage 1 – Defining the resources and benchmarking options
- Stage 2 – Feasibility assessment and market research
- Stage 3 – Options assessment for processing technologies and collection systems options
- Stage 4 – Business case for preferred option
- Stage 5 – Recommendation and adoption of preferred option