Principal Archaeologist, UK
Office Location: London
Salary: Competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package
Discipline team: Archaeology & Heritage
SLR’s CIFA-registered Archaeology & Heritage team operates from a number of SLR’s UK offices, including Shrewsbury, Nottingham, Exeter and Edinburgh. As part of the team’s strategic growth plans, we are looking to expand our presence into the South East regional market through appointment of a commercially focused work-winner to promote our Heritage presence and workload across these offices; and to both design and deliver projects for new and existing clients.
As part of SLR’s unrivalled multi-disciplinary environmental services offering, SLR’s Archaeology and Cultural Heritage capabilities offered include advising clients, design and implement schemes, baseline surveys/analysis/reports in support of planning applications, Environmental Impact Assessments, or compliance in order to discharge planning conditions. We undertake desk-based and fieldwork for historic buildings, historic landscapes, conservation areas, parks and gardens, upstanding and buried archaeology, as well as cultural heritage.
Our clients (which include housing associations, house builders and strategic land companies, care home providers, mineral operators, energy generation, infrastructure and renewables, amongst others) find our approach of great value in helping deliver their projects, whilst ensuring the Historic Environment and Cultural Heritage can be protected as part of a carefully designed scheme.
SLR is a multinational consultancy and offers significant potential for career development and enhancement based on performance. Along with a competitive basic salary, the successful candidate will receive a comprehensive benefits package including cash car allowance, BUPA health cover, death-in-service cover and pension. We strive to ensure that opportunities for both new starters and for existing staff are open to all through our structured career framework and regular reviews; and we offer agile working and have family friendly policies aimed at helping staff balance the needs of professional and family life. These include remote working facilities, as well as the potential for part time, job share and other flexible working arrangements.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop opportunities with new and existing clients in local South East area and related urban centres and work with other disciplines to maximise whole business opportunities
• Direct and undertake projects for assessment of heritage significance and impacts, conservation appraisals, management and investigation of the historic environment
• Comprehensive tenders/fee preparation for proposals, set budgets and exercise financial control over projects
• Research and analyse heritage issues as part of SLR client schemes
• Advise clients and colleagues within SLR of archaeological aspects of schemes, heritage legislation, best practice standards, and appropriate response
• Negotiate with clients and regulatory organizations over scope of work
• Prepare written and verbal reports as stand-alone or multi-disciplinary studies
PERSON SPEC – SUMMARY
• Good inter-personal skills and team player
• Proven capabilities in a consultancy, archaeological, architectural or heritage organization, including technical delivery, financial and client management and business development
• Relevant Degree level (or higher) heritage-based qualification and thorough knowledge of current legislation and guidance
• Experience of successful project delivery in market sectors such as power, minerals, housebuilding, road schemes, infrastructure, and regeneration
• Technical experience to include design of archaeological investigations, heritage studies, baseline surveys, EIA/Conservation Management Planning, historic building surveys, knowledge of techniques for remote sensing and ability to use GIS, opportunities offered by cultural tourism
• A good regional knowledge of the South East market, and proven working relationships with major stakeholders with a track record of business development
• Full driving licence valid in the UK
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer. Further details of our Equal Opportunities policy are available upon request.
To apply, please complete the online application form below.
Clicking on the button below will take you to our career application system.Apply for this job