Principal Process Engineer - Waste management, UK
Office Location: UK
Salary: Competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, agile working & family friendly policies
SLR has a fantastic opportunity for an experienced waste management professional to join its busy Process Engineering team. The successful applicant will lead on a combination of project execution and delivery and business development activities for both new and existing clients within the waste management and infrastructure sectors.
SLR’s Engineering team boasts a wealth of expertise across the European region (and wider global business) within diverse sectors including waste, power, infrastructure, and the built environment. As a forward-thinking consultancy with ambitious growth plans and listed in The Times’ top 100 “One To watch”; SLR is a truly global consultancy and offers significant potential for career development and enhancement based on performance. Our “one team” culture, flat management structure and straightforward approach to project and budget management gives everyone the opportunity to progress and to work on interesting projects for a range of valued clients.
Our Process Engineering team has expertise across a range of engineering sectors including civil, geotechnical, chemical, process, materials and mechanical engineering, with particular expertise in solid waste management/treatment and industrial wastewater and technologies. The team provides clients with expertise at all project stages, including:
• Overall Project and Programme Management
• Plant Operation, Maintenance and Trouble Shooting;
• Plant Commissioning and Performance Testing;
• Technical and Economic Feasibility Studies;
• Technical Due Diligence Reviews
• Front End Engineering and Concept Design Studies;
• Process Design Review and Optimization;
• HAZOP/HAZAN Studies;
• Development and Preparation of Technical Specifications;
• Preparation of Tender Packages and Tender Evaluation;
• Technical Training and Instruction (Plant Operators and Managers); and
• Technical Advisor and Independent Certifier Roles
Along with a competitive basic salary, the successful candidate will also receive a comprehensive benefits package including pension, 25 days annual leave (plus statutory), flexible working arrangements, car allowance, private health cover, continuous professional development and training, death-in-service cover and professional membership subscription.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will work independently and within a team to deliver projects and develop new and existing business. You will act as a project manager, write proposals and manage clients and the interface with clients. You will provide workload to others in the team and other disciplines and will be expected to mentor and coach other engineers within the team and support the sector and client leads across the business.
As a senior member of the team, you will have input into the strategic direction, planning and development of the team, creating new opportunities and prospects, enhancing and broadening team capacity and capability, recruiting new staff, identifying target markets and developing future strategies.
The successful candidate will work across other sectors with SLR staff in disciplines including the Advisory, Environmental Management and Compliance, Land and Water and Environmental Specialist Services Groups. You will have the opportunity to work within an experienced team and be involved in a series of exciting challenges with one of the leading environmental and engineering consultancies in the UK. You will have the opportunity to work and travel across Europe and internationally.
PERSON SPEC – SUMMARY
• Significant experience in the UK waste management industry particularly on solid waste management including thermal, mechanical or biological treatment
• Proven business development capabilities and the ability to manage high level client relationships and to win and deliver new work through both existing and new client contacts
• Experience of leading and managing teams of professional, engineering and operational staff in a project, consultancy or contracting environment
• Strong leadership, project management, organisational, communication and interpersonal skills with an excellent knowledge of health and safety
• Degree in Engineering, Science or Environmental based subject and additional professional qualifications
• Must have a full, current, clean driving licence valid in the UK.
TECHNICAL SKILLS / ABILITIES / EXPERIENCE
• Experience of working in the UK waste management industry
• Experience of engineering, project management and health and safety
• Knowledge of construction industry and site activities
• Managing, mentoring and coaching staff skills
• Excellent report writing skills
• IT literate, particularly with Excel, Word and Powerpoint Desirable
• Business development in a consultancy environment
• Proposal and tender writing
• Operational management of waste or recycling processing facility
• Asset management
• Designing process plants
• Contract management
• Procurement and specification writing
EDUCATION / QUALIFICATION / MEMBERSHIP
• Degree in Engineering, Science or Environmental based subject
• Professional qualification or member of a professional body
• Degree in chemical, mechanical, electrical or process engineering
• Masters degree
• NEBOSH qualified
• Must be able to work independently and within a team
• Good communication skills
• Numerate and confident with data
• Well organised and logical thinker
• Friendly and outgoing
• Honest and reliable Desirable
• Committed to changing attitudes in the environment and sustainability
• Charitable or other work within your community
To apply for this position, please use the online application button on this page to submit a CV and covering letter.
SLR Consulting is an equal opportunities employer but our expectations go beyond just complying with legislation. It is SLR's intention that active steps are undertaken to ensure that opportunities are open to all and that as a business, we continue to strive to promote diversity and inclusion and reduce the gender pay gap.
Clicking on the button below will take you to our career application system.Apply for this job