Case Study

Waste Strategy Masterplan (CAN)

SLR carried out a study to assist in planning for the future development of waste and recycling services in the region of Grande Prairie called the South Peace Region. The region covers an area of approximately 5,570 km and lies in the Great Plains Region of North America. Nearly 100kt of Municipal Solid Waste was produced in the South Peace Region in 2010, with almost a quarter being residential waste and three quarters from non-residential sources including industrial, commercial, institutional and construction and demolition wastes. It is estimated that 14% of the Municipal Solid Waste was recycled or composted in 2010, with the remaining 86% sent to landfill.

A number of different Authorities and service providers are involved in the management of waste services across the South Peace Region, resulting in a complex waste system. In addition, a number of recycling and stewardship schemes are also currently in operation in the South Peace Region, including a network of drop-off locations throughout the City and County which facilitate the collection of a range of recyclable materials.




City & County of Grande Prairie

Project Objectives:

A key objective of this project was to set out a strategic framework for implementing the preferred waste management approach for the South Peace Region and to provide a clear roadmap for the future of waste management services in the region to 2030.

Our Role

  • SLR modelled existing and future waste arisings in the South Peace Region
  • SLR carried out a Review of legislation impacting on waste management in the South Peace Region
  • SLR prepared a Service Review of existing waste management services to provide a context for the recommendations made
  • SLR provided an Options Review including a projection of future waste arisings in the South Peace Region and an assessment of potential future waste management options, including possible diversion targets and treatment options
  • SLR developed an Implementation Plan in consultation with Stakeholders which included an overview of the program of implementation required to realise the preferred waste management option
  • The Implementation Plan showed how all stakeholders in the South Peace Region could work towards meeting future key strategic targets which included reducing waste arisings to 1.15t per person per year, and increasing the recycling rate to 33% by 2030
  • SLR concluded that in order to achieve the objectives, South Peace must minimize the generation of municipal solid waste, maximize recycling and composting, utilize local landfill sites for the disposal of residual waste in a sustainable manner, whilst actively exploring opportunities for moving up the waste hierarchy and must monitor and review progress against key objectives and targets