Introduction / Refresher to Environmental Law
SLR's Paul Wright will be presenting a one-day Introduction / Refresher to Environmental Law, hosted by the FDF. Taking place in Stonehaven on the 9th of October, and Edinburgh on the 10th of October, you can register on the Food and Drink Federation website.
A one-day course providing an awareness of all major environmental laws which typically impact food and drink manufacturers, how to effectively manage compliance, and an awareness of forthcoming changes to legislation including the implications of Brexit.
The differences between environmental law in Scotland and England will be explored which makes the course invaluable for companies with sites in both Scotland and England.
The course includes the following:
- Brief overview of the structure of law, types of law and the legal framework
- Recent and forthcoming changes to environmental law including the implications of Brexit, and techniques for keeping up to date with environmental law
- The differences between environmental law in Scotland and England
- Introduction to the main environmental laws in the categories of; waste, air, energy, carbon, water, nuisance, contaminated land, hazardous substances and conservation
- Practical discussions and case studies on the compliance requirements of each law
- Effective techniques to manage day to day environmental law compliance
- The role of the regulators and managing regulator relationships
- Sanctions and enforcement
- Managing incidents
Who should attend:
- Existing environmental managers, coordinators or other individuals with involvement or responsibility for environmental law compliance management.
- Existing quality and/or health and safety practitioners wishing to develop their environmental compliance competency.
- Delegates either new to environmental law, or wishing to gain an understanding of environmental law compliance management.
- Senior managers wishing to gain an understanding of the breadth of environmental law and scope of liability.
Presenter: Paul Wright, SLR Consulting Paul, a Chartered Environmentalist and Engineer, has over 10 years' experience in environmental regulation, with extensive experience of environmental permitting, compliance audits and environmental management systems. Prior to joining SLR in September 2018, Paul was Natural Resources Wales' Industry Regulation Team Leader for North and Mid Wales since 2012, building on earlier roles with NRW (and predecessors) as Agriculture team leader and Pollution Prevention and Control Officer.
This regulatory experience gives him unrivalled insight into the requirements of environmental permitting and compliance and in particular knowledge of how the approach to engagement and improvement can influence the nature and timing of regulator actions. This knowledge is complemented by a detailed understanding of industrial business operations gained through 22 years supervising new build and operational management of industrial sites in the UK and Middle East.