Plastics & Packaging - Avoiding the Unintended Consequences of Food Waste & Food Safety in Food & Drink Manufacturing
SLR's Alban Forster will be speaking at an FDF event, discussing one of the biggest issues currently facing the food and drink industry - plastics and packaging. You can register for the event, which takes place in London on the 10th of October, on the Food and Drink Federation website where there is also more information about the speakers and their topics.
Info from the FDF website
Plastics & packaging is one of the biggest issues currently facing the food and drink industry. Manufacturers have relied on plastic for many years as a packaging material because it's safe, secure, hygienic and prolongs shelf-life.
However, the unintended consequences it creates means we must now look for alternative materials or better ways to reduce food waste and ensure food safety is not compromised.
How do we balance the need for safe and robust packaging with alternatives that don't lead to unintended consequences that may damage the planet, compromise food safety or increase food waste?
Our speakers will look at areas including - new technology and innovation; contaminants from chemical migration; how businesses can increase recyclability; new regulations and the legal challenges the industry faces; and case studies demonstrating how brands are navigating this challenging area.
- Judy Proctor, Deputy Director for Waste Regulation, Environmental Agency (keynote speech)
- Libby Peake, Senior Policy Adviser, Green Alliance
- Emma Bradley, Analytical Chemist, Fera Science
- Rick Mumford, Head of Science, Evidence & Research, FSA
- Alban Forster, Director, SLR Consulting
- Alex Ibrahim, Of Counsel, CMS, Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP
- Olivia Jamison, Partner, CMS, Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP
- Alice Harlock, Marketing and Membership, OPRL
- Helen Munday, Chief Scientific Officer, FDF (Chair)
- Sara Walton, Food Sector Lead (Standards), BSI
- Rachel Gray, Behaviour Change Manager, WRAP
Including confirmed representatives from:
More speakers to be announced in due course.