Air Dispersion Modeling
Air dispersion models are important tools in air quality management that are used to estimate a source or facility’s air quality impact due to its emissions. The results of an air dispersion modeling analysis are often used to assess compliance with ambient air quality standards and thresholds, aid in permitting decisions by regulatory agencies, or assist with project design. With the lowering air quality standards and evolving modeling guidance, air dispersion modeling will continue to become more complex and require the type of expertise that SLR can offer.
SLR’s modelers are expert in applying air dispersion models to support permit applications for new and modified facilities, environmental impact assessments, fatal flaw and feasibility analyses, air monitor placement, health risk assessments, litigation, and special studies. Key industrial sectors include power generation, oil and gas, mining, pulp and paper, manufacturing, portland cement, lime, and more. SLR participates regularly in conferences, workshops, and courses to stay abreast of developing issues, current guidance, and regulations. This active participation in the modeling community ensures that our clients continually receive value- added services and the application of best practices to their modeling needs. SLR air dispersion modeling professionals stay at the forefront of evolving air quality regulations and science.
Our air dispersion modeling capabilities are defined by our:
Expert Modeling Staff
- Meteorologists, atmospheric chemists, & engineers
- Project management expertise
- Attend training classes & conferences
- Integrates our dispersion modeling expertise with SLR’s wider air quality management services including permitting, compliance, monitoring, and emissions measurements.
Expertise with Model Applications
- EPA-approved & alternative models & processors including AERMOD, CALPUFF, OCD, CALMET, MMIF, EMVAP, & others
- Manage & interpret regional photochemical grid modeling studies using CAMx & CMAQ
- Air toxics risk assessment software
Extensive Project Experience
- Attorney client privilege & litigation support
- Fatal flaw & feasibility analyses
- Air toxics & health risk/screening assessments
- Environmental impact assessments
- Agency permitting programs
Dedicated Technical Excellence and Support
- Experience processing & analyzing large datasets including meteorology, geospatial data, & air quality data using both commercial & custom-designed software
- Experience with commercial dispersion modeling software & development of automated project-specific processing with scripting languages as needed
- Hardware & software including GIS software & dedicated Linux cluster & multicore PCs