Stakeholder Engagement & Consultation
A core principle for sustainable development is that a decision, project or initiative needs to be financially viable, environmentally responsible and socially acceptable. Lack of stakeholder and community acceptance is a key project risk factor.
SLR’s approach is frequently supported by running a parallel process to secures the ‘social licence to operate’ (SltO) by consulting with and gaining the support of local communities and other stakeholders.
How can SLR help?
SLR has developed a social engagement approach, based on proven principles, to work alongside clients to assist them earn and maintain a SLtO. The approach is based on the following fundamentals:
- Social engagement: involves listening, and then doing something tangible based on what you have heard
- Early stage stakeholder engagement: this phase is critical to a successful project outcome
- Stakeholder engagement in decision making: has clear benefits, which include
- Increased likelihood that the initiative or project is accepted.
- Reducing legal costs by reducing potential legal challenges
- Long term financial savings
- Reduced conflict and greater cooperation
- Improved relationships with stakeholders, regulators and media
- Reducing stress on company employees through working in a supportive community
SLR’s Stakeholder Engagement and Consultation services include:
- Facilitation and Strategic Communication: including small and large group facilitation, stakeholder scoping, strategy development and change management
- Consultation and Engagement: including issues identification, risk assessment and strategy development
- Enabling Relationships: including stakeholder liaison, conflict management and mediation
- Capacity Building: including communication training and coaching, community development and education