Principal Tailings Engineer/ Technical Director, Africa
Office Location: Fourways, Johannesburg
Salary: Market related
Our Fourways (Johannesburg, South Africa) based team has a need for a Principal Tailings Engineer to complement our existing Engineering and Mine Waste teams and to support and drive various growth initiatives. SLR has a significant and longstanding profile across Africa in tailings management and mine waste services for a number of mining clients, from junior to top-tier.
The successful applicant will be a degree qualified and professionally registered civil or geotechnical engineer with a minimum of 15 years' of relevant experience. You will have a proven track record in project and technical delivery, managing and mentoring team members, and the ability to create strong relationships with clients.
Team management and mentoring.
Development and implementation of company strategy and growth initiatives.
Client relationship development, both current SLR clients and prospective clients using your established networks.
Technical leadership and project oversight, often in multi-disciplinary teams.
Technical review of feasibility studies and designs of mine waste facilities (tailings dams, heap leach pads and related infrastructure) and associated investigations and analyses (geotechnical investigations, stability analyses, water balances, deposition planning etc.).
Undertake dam safety evaluations and risk assessments.
Undertake mine waste facility audits and inspections.
The successful applicant will possess relevant qualifications in civil engineering (e.g. Bachelor of Engineering). Postgraduate qualifications in geotechnical or water engineering will be favourably considered.
Skills and Experience
- Substantial experience in mine waste engineering in a consulting environment.
- Broad range of experience in planning, feasibility, design and construction phase services.
- Extensive experience in leading project teams.
- Solid experience in the technical review of design works, reports and proposals.
- English speaking with excellent communication skills.
- Proactive, innovative, and take pride in producing quality work.
- Connected network across the Mining sector.
- Professionally registered (PrEng or similar).
- Detailed knowledge of applicable regulatory framework in various African jurisdictions and global industry standards and guidelines.
- Good experience with and understanding of water engineering and closure needs and developments with particular reference to mine waste facilities and the Mining sector.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Projects and specific software relevant to geotechnical and dam engineering.
- Strong technical background.
- Commercial acumen.
Applications and Enquiries