Expert Witness Woodside Energy Offshore (Africa)
SLR was engaged by Woodside Energy Limited to provide lead expert witnesses in the fields of reservoir engineering, drilling, facilities and economics and an incremental geological expert witness. The expert witnesses were in support of Woodside in its defence against an alleged breach of a farm-in agreement in respect of an oil exploration venture in offshore Kenya. The five SLR expert witnesses worked with Woodside, Ashurst LLP, One Essex Court and Alix Partners in preparing the case submissions. A Commercial Court case scheduled for seven weeks was settled on the first day of trial in April 2010.
Preparation of expert witness statements covering the following areas:
- Reservoir engineering
- Drilling engineering
- Facilities engineering
- Petroleum economics
- Supplementary petroleum geology report
- Responses to the counterparty’s submissions
- Prepare to defend case in court
- Review all the data provided by Woodside and the legal team.
- Document expert witness statements and responses to the counterparty submissions.
- Work alongside the legal teams (Ashurst and One Essex Court).
- Work alongside the forensic accounting team (Alix Partners).
- Ensure preparedness to appear in court to defend the submissions made.
The project covered a period of eight months with an intense period of activity over the four months leading up to the Commercial Court trial. The client was extremely pleased with the outcome (a $12MM settlement against a $190 MM claim) and the fact that the dispute was settled on the first day of trial.