Client: City of Cape Town: Transport for Cape Town
City of Cape Town: Basic Assessment for the Proposed Upgrade of Bayside Canal, Tableview
The capacity of the existing Bayside Canal has become severely compromised by an increased volume of stormwater runoff and extensive reed growth, thus creating a risk of flooding upstream properties. In addition, there has also been an accumulation of solid waste along the canal itself which ultimately is discharged into Rietvlei. In light thereof, the City of Cape Town (CoCT) is proposing the following:
- Widening of the Bayside Canal from Blaauwberg Road southwards to the canal outlet;
- Installation of a stormwater treatment system comprising a litter screening structure, sedimentation ponds and reed bed ponds to the south of the canal outlet within Rietvlei; and
- Construction of a bypass channel to discharge stormwater directly into Rietvlei during high-order storms.
SLR Consulting (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd (SLR) has been appointed by BVi Consulting Engineers WC (Pty) Ltd (BVi Consulting), on behalf of CoCT, as the independent Environmental Assessment Practitioner to undertake the Basic Assessment process to meet the relevant requirements of the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Regulations 2014 (Government Notice (GN) No. R982), as amended.
The draft Basic Assessment Report (BAR) has been compiled and made available for a 30-day public and authority review and comment period from 23 May to 24 June 2019 (which makes provision for two public holidays during this period). A copy of the full report is available for download below.
Any comment on the BAR should reach the SLR Cape Town office (contact details below) by no later than 24 June 2019 for inclusion in the revised BAR that will be submitted to the Department of Environmental Affairs and Development Planning for consideration in decision-making.
- Appendix A: Locality Map (1.23 MB)
- Appendix B: Preliminary Design Report
- Appendix C: Site Photographs (896.28 KB)
- Appendix D: Biodiversity Overlay Map (674.41 KB)
- Appendix E: Other Permits (2.21 MB)
- Appendix F: Public Participation
- Appendix F1: I&AP database (44.94 KB)
- Appendix F2.1: I&AP Notification Letters - Part 1 (10.86 MB)
- Appendix F2.2: I&AP Notification Letters - Part 2 (6.43 MB)
- Appendix F3: Advertisement (4.51 MB)
- Appendix F4: Site Notice (2.33 MB)
- Appendix F5: Public Open Day Attendance Register (181.36 KB)
- Appendix F6: Comments and Responses Report (2.92 MB)
- Appendix G: Specialist Studies
- Appendix H: Environmental Management Programme (1.44 MB)
- Appendix I: Other Information (999.53 KB)