Client: Gecko Salt (Pty) Ltd
Environmental Impact Assessment for the proposed Cape Cross Salt Project
Gecko Salt intends to develop a new solar salt production facility at the Cape Cross Salt Pan, which is located on the coast at Cape Cross in Namibia, approximately 45 km north of Henties Bay. The development would be within Exclusive Prospecting License (EPL) 4167 and three Mining Claims (numbered 68000/1/2), all held by Gecko Salt. The project involves the establishment of salt crystallization pans for salt production by solar evaporation (including the mining of natural rock-salt). Salt production would be phased, up to a maximum of 1.5 million tons per annum.
An environmental clearance certificate (ECC) in terms of the Environmental Management Act (No. 7 of 2007) is required from the Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) prior to commencement. SLR Environmental Consulting (Namibia)(Pty) Ltd (SLR Namibia) was appointed by Gecko Salt to undertake the Scoping and Environmental Impact Assessment process.
The Scoping phase for the project was completed in 2016, where after the specialist studies commenced. Al the specialist studies have been completed and were incorporated into a Draft EIA Report and EMP. The Draft EIA Report and EMP have been made available for a 30-day review and comment period from 28 March to 2 May 2018. The full report is available for download below. Hard copies of the report will also be available at the Henties Bay Public Library and the Swakopmund Community Library from 29 March 2018. Any comments om the Draft EIA Report and EMP should reach SLR by no later than 2 May 2018.
Environmental Impact Assessment Report
- Appendix A: Database of Registered IAPs (420.44 KB)
- Appendix B: EIA Team CVs (1001.65 KB)
- Appendix C: Specialist Studies
- Avifaunal Baseline/Scoping and Assessment Study (5.51 MB)
- Archaeological Survey and Assessment (968.05 KB)
- Ecological Study (3.3 MB)
- Faunal Study (3.1 MB)
- Hydrological and Hydrogeological Assessments (1.97 MB)
- Hydrology Report and Initial Dam Screening (2.76 MB)
- Hydrogeological Assessment of the Cape Cross Salt Pan (3.27 MB)
- Groundwater Exploration for Supply (4.13 MB)
- Marine Ecology Specialist Statement (1.63 MB)
- Socio-Economic Baseline and Assessment Study (1.42 MB)
- Traffic Impact Assessment and Safety Audit (4.49 MB)
- Vegetation Study (2.18 MB)
- Appendix D: Comments and Responses Report (279.41 KB)
- Appendix E: Environmental Management Plan (1.86 MB)