Client: Windhoek PEL23 B.V.
PEL82 - Proposed Offshore Exploration Well Drilling in PEL82 (Walvis Basin) off the Coast of Namibia
Windhoek PEL23 B.V. is proposing to drill one or possibly two exploration wells in the Petroleum Exploration Licence Area 82 (PEL82) in the Walvis Basin off the Coast of Namibia in order to ascertain whether oil and gas are available in commercially extractable quantities. PEL82 covers an area of approximately 11 400 km2 and is located between 80 km and 300 km from the coast in water depths ranging from approximately 200 m to 1 800 m. SLR has been appointed to undertake the required EIA process.
A Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) and Environmental & Social Management Plan (ESMP) has been compiled and made available for a 30-day review and comment period from 28 October to 27 November 2019. For comments to be included in the Final EIR and ESMP to be submitted to the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism for decision-making they must reach SLR by no later than 27 November 2019. The full report is available for download below.
The following information-feedback meetings will be held in November 2019:
Walvis Bay: 15 November 2019, Protea Pelican Bay Hotel - Nautilus 1 Room at 10h30
Lüderitz: 18 November 2019, Nest Hotel - Sandrose Room at 10h30
- Appendix 1: SLR CVs (596.17 KB)
- Appendix 2: MET Acceptance of FSR and MME Support Letter (478.88 KB)
- Appendix 3: Public Participation Process
- Appendix 4: Method for Impact Identification and Evaluation (224.61 KB)
- Appendix 5: Specialist Studies
- Appendix 5.1: Drill Cuttings and Oil Spill Modelling Study (10.98 MB)
- Appendix 5.2: Noise Assessment (2.49 MB)
- Appendix 5.3: Marine Faunal Assessment (7.31 MB)
- Appendix 5.4: Commercial Fisheries Assessment (8.35 MB)