Client: Petroleum Geo-Services
Petroleum Geo-Services: Proposed Speculative 2D and 3D Seismic Surveys off the South and West Coast of South Africa
Petroleum Geo-Services (PGS) submitted an application for a Reconnaissance Permit to the Petroleum Agency SA (PASA) in order to apply to undertake a multi-client speculative two-dimensional (2D) and three-dimensional (3D) seismic surveys in a number of petroleum licence blocks off the South and West Coast of South Africa.
The Reconnaissance Permit area is approximately 290 299 km2 in extent. The western extent of the permit area would be located more than 370 km offshore. The distance from the coast of the eastern extent of the permit area would be as follows:
- From the Orange River Mouth to a point approximately 20 km north of Strandfontein it would be located 25 km offshore;
- From this point to Elands Bay it would be located approximately 30 km offshore;
- From Elands Bay to Cape Point (and directly across of False Bay to Pringle Bay), the distance varies between 35 – 30 km;
- From Pringle Bay the distance progressively increases to ultimately 100 km offshore of Cape Agulhas.
Actual survey commencement would ultimately depend on a permit award date and the availability of a survey vessel. Furthermore, the duration of the surveys would be dependent on whether the 2D and 3D surveys are run concurrently or at a different times. It is, however, anticipated that the surveys would take in the order of five months to complete. Should the permit be awarded, it is anticipated that the proposed surveys could commence within Q1 or Q2 2019, with the balance of the survey resuming at the end of December 2019.
SLR has been appointed to compile the required Environmental Management Programme (EMP) for submission to PASA.
A final EMP has been compiled and was submitted to PASA for consideration and decision-making on 21 December 2018. Comments received on the draft EMP were collated and responded to in a Comments and Responses Report and appended to the final EMP. For information purposes, the full report has been made available for download below
Final Environmental Management Programme
- Appendix 1: Public Participation
- Appendix 1.1: I&AP Database (Updated) (35.69 KB)
- Appendix 1.2: Advertisements (Updated) (9.23 MB)
- Appendix 1.3: I&AP Notification (New) (3.97 MB)
- Appendix 1.4: Comments and Responses Report (New) (1.18 MB)
- Appendix 1.5: Copies of Written Comments Received (New) (3.12 MB)
- Appendix 2: Convention for Assigning Impact Ratings (99.24 KB)
- Appendix 3: Specialist Studies