Client: SAB Maltings (Pty) Ltd (SAB)
SAB Maltings: Proposed Water Pipeline to Augment the Supply of Water to the SAB Maltings Plant in Caledon
In order to ensure continued uninterrupted operations at the SAB Maltings plant in Caledon, SAB is proposing to augment the water supply to the plant with groundwater from an existing borehole, which is located on Farm 532, approximately 12 km south-east of the town. The proposed project requires Environmental Authorisation via a Basic Assessment process. In addition an application for a Water Use Licence in terms of the National Water Act (No. 36 of 1998) is also required. SLR has been appointed to undertake the two parallel application processes.
On 2 July 2019 DEA&DP granted and issued an Environmental Authorisation (EA) for the proposed project. This provides SAB authorisation to, inter alia, construct the 12 km water supply pipeline as applied for.
Any party who wishes to lodge a formal appeal with the Minister must do so within 20 days from the date that the decision was sent to registered interested and affected parties (i.e. 20 days from 9 July 2019).
The appeal procedure to be followed is set out in the below EA Notification Letter. A copy of the full EA is also available for download below. For information purposes, the Basic Assessment Report is also still available for download.
- Appendix A: Locality Map (833.86 KB)
- Appendix B: Site Plans (2.37 MB)
- Appendix C: Site Photos (2.78 MB)
- Appendix D: Biodiversity Map (1.26 MB)
- Appendix E: Comment from Heritage Western Cape (55.65 KB)
- Appendix F: Public Participation Information
- Appendix G: Specialist Reports
- Appendix H: Environmental Management Programme (3.42 MB)
- Appendix J: Convention for Assigning Significance Ratings to Impacts (215.81 KB)
- Appendix K: Other Information
- Appendix K1: CVs of EAP (990.44 KB)
- Appendix K2: Property Details and Directly Affected Landowners (61.94 KB)
- Appendix K3: Site Co-ordinates (64.42 KB)
- Appendix K4: Borehole Yield and Quality Testing Report (1.51 MB)