Pleasantview Drive Bridge Replacement
MMI/SLR provided construction engineering and inspection services for the replacement of Bridge No. 04576, Pleasantview Drive Bridge over the Hockanum River in Vernon, Connecticut. The project was funded under the Federal Local Bridge Programme using the Pilot Programme for 100% Design Funding.
The project consisted of the removal of the four existing culverts carrying the Hockanum River under Pleasantview Drive and replacement with a precast substructure and precast deck units.
The work included:
- Temporary water handling measures
- Excavation of the roadway & embankments
- Removal & replacement of a sanitary sewer line under the stream downstream from the structure
- Installation of drilled shaft and pilings
- Installation of precast footings, abutments & wingwalls to complete the substructure
- Installation of precast deck units & approach slabs
- Concrete placement of sidewalks & parapets
- Bridge rail installation
The roadway was closed during construction with an extensive detour. Roadway work included roadway base installation, paving, railing installation, embankment formation, and site restoration. Environmental work consisted of special handling of the removal of the existing bridge rail and fencing and confined space work to complete the new sanitary sewer installation.